Thursday, October 15, 2009

Blog Action Day 2009: Climate Change | Giving the Planet A Sporting Chance

“Give the Planet a Sporting Chance” is a call to action campaign of the Japanese Olympic Committee Sport and Environment Commission. I am borrowing it today as I write something in support of this year's Blog Action Day.

I make it personal when I try to make sense of what climate change is. I find connections in dissecting the big things into parts where I understand and feel the potential impacts to me and my environment. This makes it easier for me to reconnect when I begin to drift away from the magnitude of the problem. I do this because it is easy to sink into that hole of helplessness and settle into apathy when I begin to consider that there might be nothing I can do to solve this problem.

The years I dedicated to dragon boat racing and rowing brought me closer to nature. My experiences and the sights I saw are probably the biggest reasons why I continue to strongly advocate campaigns to protect our environment. These sports I love are also threatened by the effects of climate change. Lakes and rivers are in danger of disappearing. I cannot imagine a world where there is nothing to do but stay indoors because there is nothing more safe to do outside.

@ Pasig River (Photo by John Candido)

Out in the water I become one of those many others who appreciate just how precious our environment is. I see pristine waters and my heart sings with joy. I feel the clean breeze caress my body and my spirit soars. It is when I am out in a boat that I understand more how inaction and apathy could make me lose something that is priceless and irreplaceable.

@ La Mesa Dam (Photo by Chalyn Bueta)

So what can I do?

I choose to give the planet a sporting chance. I consciously make an effort to lessen my carbon footprint. It is not easy and I am not even halfway to being successful as I aimed to be but I believe I am on the right track. I have learned the habit of using less plastic especially when I am out shopping. I unplug appliances that I do not use. I try to use less electricity. Everyday I try to do more. I read materials that could help me reduce my carbon impact.

I am only one but I am one with the billions of people who are doing what they can to mitigate the risks of climate change. With that in mind, I am filled with hope. I could still imagine a world where people have the chance of playing my favorite sports.


No comments: