Monday, June 16, 2008

Where the cradle rocks

Parati naman akong nagkakaroon ng pagkakataong pumunta ng campus. Hindi naman maiiwasan dahil nariyan ang mga samut-saring dahilan para bumisita. It could be just to meet with old friends, pahirapan ang sarili sa capoeira training, sumali sa mga fun runs, bumisita sa mga sisses, mag-lunch sa Beach House, tumambay at kumain ng sandamakmak na cake sa Chocolate Kiss, lumamon ng isaw sa may Kalayaan at napakarami pang maisipang dahilan just to hang-out in U.P.

Mahirap naman kasing alisin talaga sa sistema ang U.P. Sa malawak na campus, sa loob at labas ng apat na sulok ng classroom - doon hinubog ang payak na kaisipan at puso ko to be who I am now. Doon ako natutong lumangoy sa kumunoy.

I stepped out from U.P. but I never really left it. I sometimes think that my blood turned maroon from that moment I unpacked my bags in my room in Kalayaan.

Naisip ko lang, schools are like labels. The best and worst of us wear them like a badge. I wear my badge not because I believe that it represents the one true source of that breed of intelligent and gifted individuals. Other schools are equally equipped to produce such great minds.

Basta for me, my badge is a reminder to myself of how I learned to view the life I had in that cradle that nurtured my young mind. It was there that I began to believe that beyond intellect, beyond logic, beyond the values we give to superficial things - there are other important things that are waiting for discernment. Sometimes, it just takes an open mind to find an easier path to learning. It would be good to remind myself time and again...walang pakialamanan ng trip helps.

(Photo from here.)

No comments: