Thursday, December 27, 2007

A look into that shift to automatic mode

I just realized that airports are right there at the top of my list of “automatic mode” triggers. As soon as I stepped out of the cab that brought me at NAIA II for my early morning flight (by early, I mean REALLY early) I sensed a few shifts inside. For one, it was like I just stopped thinking and did everything mechanically. And mechanical seems to aptly sum up the numbness and the obliviousness that took over.

I can’t help but think that I’ve slowly learned to “unfeel” the sadness of leaving (which I often associate with airports, go figure). Not that going home makes me feel sad. On the contrary, it was something I was really looking forward to. But then again, I also knew that I wouldn’t be staying home long. And I didn’t wish to dwell on what that would make me feel.

Interesting how innocuous things (like stepping off cabs, walking through airport security, etc.) that often go unnoticed, reveal a lot of stuff. It makes me think that in between the constant shifting of chaos and stillness inside and out is a treasure-trove of details that can be fun to uncover.

No comments: