Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Phases and Seasons

I think each sport I get into has its seasons or phases in my life. Sometimes I stick to it for a year, sometimes for more than a decade. But no matter how long I stay, there's going to be what I call a "time-out" from playing the game regardless of how much I've learned to love it. This is when I just decide to take some time away and move on.

My love affair with any sport has to have two key ingredients:
1. It has to be fun.
2. I have to see and feel that I've made a significant improvement in playing it after a period of time (i.e. it should be able to TEACH me something, to make me LEARN something)

If one of those two things are missing, then I know it's time for me to call the "time-out". And this is what's happening to me now with my attachment to Futsal. I've been playing it for exactly one year now. I can still remember how excited I was when I started out. It was something new for me. More importantly, it was my first attempt to play a sport that use balls (I always thought of myself as a wuss in sports that need balls -no pun intended- to play).

I think that one year is a long time for me to invest time, passion, energy, and money without seeing any significant improvement in myself. It was really great in the beginning especially when others spend time teaching us newbies the basics. But I don't think that I've learned what I needed to learn in the time I dedicated to it. For now, it's really time for a break.

What I would love to do now is really to go back to my Wushu-Sanshou training. That's one love affair that's burning hot even from the time I've been away from it. Unfortunately, it's not something I can pursue again right now because my work schedule conflicts with my training time.

I guess it'll have to be boxing for now. It's timely that Ken invited Badette and I to try it. I haven't done boxing as a sport although I've had training in boxing since it's one of the core skills in sanshou. It would be great to improve my skills on it. I'm sure I'd be gradually burning all my excess fat along the way.

No comments: